Take Action

On the spot - Address any immediate health and safety issues

If you are concerned about your safety, or that of others, call emergency services on 111.

When any urgent matters are under control and if you feel it is safe to do so, look to minimise any further consumption and risks. Get assistance with this if possible.

If you see an intoxicated person in a licensed premises (e.g pub, night club) alert the duty manager, and/or the Police on 111. If you know that an intoxicated person has been drinking at a particular licensed premises, then follow the above.

Spread the word - Promote informed choice

As opportunities arise guide people in your life to relevant information on alcohol and to the low-risk drinking guidelines.

Develop some safety protocols/kawa with your family/Whānau. These can focus on how to avoid drinking excessively, and what to do if they are in trouble.

If you have a group or network that you belong to, work together to raise awareness in your community about alcohol and share relevant information and links to low-risk drinking guidelines or other tools. 

See the section on Mobilising Others  for more information and support

Assist people to get the help they need 

If you have any concerns about the alcohol use of people in your life, assist them or their family to get professional help.

  • Help can be reached at your GP/local medical centre, school counsellor or local Alcohol and Drug Service.
  • The Alcohol and Drug Helpline is a useful starting point for anyone who has concerns about their own or others drinking. They will be able to support you towards the best course of action and local services including youth services - 0800 787 797.

Change the wider environment to change our drinking culture

Take action on environmental factors which support low-risk drinking. For example, foster and mobilise others to: