Take Action

Does your Council have a signage bylaw?

Check to see if your Council has a signage bylaw. To find the website of your Local Council, please click here.

Make a complaint if you feel there is a breach of a bylaw

If your Council does have a bylaw, you can proceed to make a complaint.

Record the details of the outdoor advertisement - you can keep all signage-related incidents in a log. We have created one for you below.

Take a photo of the possible non-compliant signage

Incident log -  non-compliant signage

Letter template - make a complaint about non-compliance with  signage bylaws

After collecting relevant evidence, raise your concern with the Licensing Unit of your local Council, as they are responsible for enforcing any bylaw.

If your Council does not have a signage bylaw

If your Council does not have a bylaw, encourage your Council to develop one, please check out the section on alcohol in public places.

Record the details of the advertisement you are concerned about.  You can download an incident log (above) to record your problem.

Contact your local council to ask why a bylaw has not been developed, or whether it is currently being written.

You can highlight the importance of a signage bylaw in your community:

Letter Template - Request for Signage Bylaw 

Seeking to have conditions on a licensed premise during alcohol licensing application process

If you consider to make an objection or request for conditions on a licensed premise, you may include a condition of removing signage and advertising of alcohol outside the premise.

Similar to making complaint on non-compliant signage, record the details of the outdoor advertisement – you can keep all signage-related incidents in a log. We have created one for you below.

Incident log -  non-compliant signage

Make it clear in your object letter that this is the case and what condition you would prefer, here are some examples:

  • External advertising of alcohol is limited to no more than 50% of the shop frontage window area.
  • Advertising will be limited to the trading name of the premises and two poster type displays on the shop frontage smaller than A1 size.
  • There will be no external free-standing advertising signs.

In your objection letter, it is often useful to quote relevant Signage Bylaw(s). Check out if the signage bylaw in your local council also include restrictions on external signage or advertising.

Sometimes it can be difficult to have conditions imposed on the licence – but this doesn’t mean that you can’t discuss these with the applicant and encourage them to sign an undertaking.  An undertaking is a formal written statement (can even be in an email) that the applicant promises to adhere to certain requirements.

Please visit the section on Alcohol Licensing to learn more about objecting to a liquor licence application.