The three 'best buys'
The World Health Organization has identified the following policy measures as the three 'best buys' to reduce alcohol harm:
- Price measures, in particular tax increases
- Reducing the availability and accessibility of alcohol
- Restricting alcohol advertising and sponsorship
As shown in the Introduction to this overall section, there is strong evidence relating to the impact of alcohol advertising and alcohol consumption.
From 2010-2014, strong public support was found for restricting advertising and sponsorship :
- 80% supported restrictions on alcohol advertising to young people
- 66% support banning alcohol sponsorship of events that young people may attend