Watch for signs
Some of the signs that a young person is having difficulties with alcohol use include:
- changes in their mood – such as becoming withdrawn
- argumentative or irritable
- problems at school such as behaviour issues, missing school or school deadlines
- missing other activities/commitments or becoming unreliable - such as not being where they said they would be
- changing their friends or people they normally hang out with
- smell of alcohol or are vomiting.
Some of these behaviour changes could be related to something else so it’s important to check it out with a health professional and take their guidance.
Services for young people
There are many services available to assist young people with their drinking.
The best starting point is your GP or the Alcohol and Drug Helpline at 0800 787 797.
They will be able to support you towards the best course of action and local services including youth services that are available. You can also visit their website, or free txt 8681 for confidential advice.