1. Supply of alcohol at public events

If alcohol is being sold and supplied at a public event a licence will be required.  This is usually a special licence. Please also check out the section on Alcohol licensing developed by Health Promotion Agency. 

This licence will require the event organisers or the licence holder to have appropriate plans in place to ensure the safe and responsible use of alcohol and the safety of event goers.

Larger events will require a greater level of management and planning. Click on the tool below to learn more.

Guidelines for Managing Alcohol At Large Events

Other useful Health Promotion Agency resources include the Alcohol Management Plan template and Guidelines for Safe Zones at Large Events.

A licence is not required for private functions where alcohol is supplied by the host or the guests for their own consumption (unless the function is held on a licensed premises).  This doesn’t mean that there aren’t responsibilities associated with private functions. Please click here for the relevant section of the Act. 

Sometimes events are not licensed but alcohol consumption is still a problem.  This is often related to people bringing alcohol to the event, drinking prior to the event or the event’s proximity to other places where drinking is taking place.

Minors at public events where alcohol is sold

Some public events which sell alcohol may be restricted to only those 18 years and over.

Other events may allow minors to attend but with special requirements. Some festivals may also have a minimum age that the minor must be, e.g. one music festival in NZ requires that all attendees are over the age of 15 years.

There must be signage at the event stating that alcohol will not be sold to minors. Security and bar staff should ensure that minors do not enter licensed areas and are not supplied with alcohol from other patrons.