Be a positive role model (in your family or community). Examples include:
- enjoying yourself without alcohol
- modelling how to refuse a drink/avoid pressure to drink
- if/when drinking yourself just have one or stay within the low-risk drinking guidelines
- if you are driving or responsible for looking after children, don’t drink.
- if you are concerned about your drinking seek help from your GP or other health professional. This will model help-seeking behaviour.
- if you are concerned about someone else’s drinking in your family/whanau be supportive, and enable them to seek help.